Musicians' Performance Trust Fund
Main Website: MusicPF.org
What It Is
- The Music Performance Fund (MPF) is a non-profit, tax-exempt public service organization under section 501 (c) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Headquartered in New York City, MPF is the world's largest sponsor of live, admission-free musical programs. MPF presents over 10,000 performances yearly to the people of the United States and Canada. Millions of people enjoy music of high quality without having to buy a ticket or belong to an organization in order to gain admittance.
- The Fund was established in 1948 by the recording companies of North America and the American Federation of Musicians as part of their collective bargaining agreement. A small royalty on the sale of some recorded music is contributed to the Fund by signatory recording companies, and these funds are supplemented by co-sponsoring organizations.
- There is never an admission charge for MPF performances, and its performances cannot be used to raise money, sell merchandise, or promote political or religious events.
What To Do
- Contract with a venue to provide a music performance that is Free and Open to the Public.
- Obtain a Sponsor to help pay the musicians for the performance. The sponsor can be the venue itself, or an outside source.
- MPTF currently will provide 30% of the musicians' fees for a general performance, 40% of fees for performances in hospiatls or nursing homes, and 50% of fees for performances in schools. Sponsors are responsible for the remaining fees.
- Current AFM 660 Wage Rates are $75 for each musician, $82.50 for the leader (required by MPF).
- Download the "Request For Project Funding" and W-9 forms below, and follow the instructions for submission.
Forms and Help
- Contact John Thompson, AFM Local 660 MPTF Coordinator
- Instructions for Submitting a Request for Funding
Steps for RFPForm
- Request for Project Funding Page 1
RFPForm Page 1
Application for Funding form
- Request for Project Funding Page 2
RFPForm Page 2
Confirmation of Performance form
- W-9 Form Sponsor Tax ID
Must be sent in with RFPF Form Pg. 1